Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 11:13:37 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AFS client for freebsd?

> >The port is trivial if you:
>
> >1)    Unset the vmio flag
>
> >2)    Hack the VOP_READDIR cookie code (FreeBSD and NetBSD differ
> >    here; see the NFS server code for specifics).
>
> >Note that the NetBSD port is only available as binary, and only then
> >if you have an AFS license already.
>
> Your wrong, the NetBSD source patches are also available, I know because I have
> a patched source tree, where I attempted a quick port to FreeBSD a couple
> months back.  It mostly worked, with some serious problems I just didnt (and
> still dont :( ) have the time to track down.  Im also very green when it comes
> to the vm kernel stuff, and thats were I'm encountering all of my problems.
> I'll re-port my changes to a newer 2.2 snap when I get a chance and see if
> something I've done stupidly falls out.
>
> What vmio flag?

The vmio flag that, if unset, makes out I/O (mostly) behave like NetBSD's.

Grep for "doingvmio" in your source tree.

The main remaining difference between NetBSD and FreeBSD after that
is the VOP_READDIR "cookie" crap.  The NFS code contains #ifdef's
that enumerate all of the differences.

Make the per-FS cookie crap act like NetBSD's, and the NetBSD AFS
will be a happy VOP_READDIR consumer.

Really, we should murder the cookie crap by seperating directory
reads into two operations (per the discussion on NFS with Doug
Rabson and myself on -hackers and -current -- see the list
archives).  But then, of course, it would need a native port to
run the binary module version of AFS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---