Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 23:31:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

On Tue, 4 Nov 1997, Stephen McKay wrote:
> "fortune" could be a special case to appease that chap who would defect
> to Linux. :-)  Personally, I would have no problems with installing it as
> a port, just like the dozen or so other toys that I am particularly fond of.
> I'm sure most people like "fortune", but how upset could they get if they
> have to pick it out of the ports list to install it?

One of the advantages of the FreeBSD CD is that is has a pretty good
selection of software in the "out of the box" installs.  Some of us don't
like infinitely customizing our system and appreciate the judgment that
has gone into the standard CDROM configurations.  This is a selling point
for FreeBSD in my view.

A discussion of what should be in the standard installs (as opposed to
ports or optional packages) seems perfectly appropriate.  Not everyone
likes building their systems from scratch.

This is a little off-topic, but one thing I appreciate is that every time
I have installed FreeBSD I have not had to go out searching for tcpdump.
It is just there, and this reflects a certain viewpoint on the part of the
CDROM authors. In contrast, with Slackware I have to shuffle through 4 or
6 cdroms, still can't find tcpdump and then have to wander around Sunsite
until I locate the damn thing.  How a distribution is set up *is*
important.

Charles Mott