Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:17:21 -0500
From:      Steven Nikkel <steven_nikkel@ertyu.org>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.x and Modems

On 2011-03-24, at 12:15 PM, John Baldwin wrote:

> On Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:26:16 am Steven Nikkel wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Mar 2011, John Baldwin wrote:
>>=20
Int&gt; at
>>>=20
>>> Hmm, no helpful bootverbose messages in the pnp.c code it seems.
>>>=20
>> I updated to 8.2 and patched pnp.c as you proposed. Here's the =
result:
>> http://pastebin.com/AWpiBxRA
>>=20
>> It is the modem that is causing those 'PnP device failed to report=20
>> resource data'
>> and I don't see it appear in devinfo.
>=20
> Yes, so the next step would be to instrument pnp_read_resources() to =
see
> exactly where it is failing.
>=20
> --=20
> John Baldwin

A first glance tells me the only thing that could be happening is a time =
out trying to read resources. So sure enough after a couple hours of =
compiling and reboots that is the issue. The first check shows it reads =
a few resources then times out trying to read one 45 bytes long. I =
updated the time out dramatically in pnp_get_resource_info to verify and =
sure enough PNP now successfully initializes the card. Curiously I =
looked at pnpinfo and it seems to use pretty much the exact same =
process, except it was working previously. (PS: I set the count to 1000 =
and delay to 100, extreme overkill, but I didn't want to wait for =
several kernel compiles to get it to work)

Here are some relevant snippets from dmesg with my debugging bits: =
http://pastebin.com/uKRReBc0

Now onto the next bit: uart doesn't seem to identify the card properly. =
This was about the same message I was getting when I hard coded the =
settings on the board (no-pnp) and put them in device.hints

However, it does seem to produce results now when I try to use it. =
Different than previous usage, but at least appears to be useful.

---
Steven Nikkel
steven_nikkel@ertyu.org