Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:38:59 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Tony Maher <tonym@biolateral.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'losing' every second packet

On 2002-Oct-03 09:55:30 +1000, Tony Maher <tonym@biolateral.com.au> wrote:
>about 3-4 weeks ago my home firewall started to exhibit a strange
>behaviour of losing what appears to be every second packet but _only_
>after it has been running for more than 12 hrs (typically around the
>24hr mark).  The only way to 'fix' it is to reboot.  Restarting firewall
>rules does not help.

I'm also using Optus cable, but with -STABLE from about a week ago and
IPfilter rather than ipfw.  (I found that ipfw+natd+keep-state didn't
work).  I haven't seen this problem and can't suggest any obvious
cause within FreeBSD.  It is possible that Optus have added something
to their firewall to 'discourage' incoming setup packets (to enforce
their "no servers" policy).

All I can suggest is running tcpdump on your firewall and a remote
machine and studying the packet loss when you send various packets
between the machines (ping, UDP and TCP).  This might identify where
(in which direction) the packet loss is occurring.

Peter