Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:47:33 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libc.so.6???

Arjan Knepper <arjan@jak.nl> types:

> > > Strange, should be libc.so.4 or 5, you could try to make a symbol link to the existing libc.so.X named
> > > libc.so.6, but that might give problems.
> > >
> > > It isn't a linux binary you tying to start?
> > I think this must be a linux binary he is trying to start... is there any
> > native Java support in FreeBSD?

/usr/ports/java/jdk is FreeBSD (3.x) native. It's jdk 1.1.8,
though. Native 1.2 is still in beta.

> Than he should (have) install(ed) linux_base and make sure the libc.so.6 could be found in the
> /usr/compat/linux/... directory.

No, that won't work. Shared libraries use the ABI the of the process
that is using them. The module would only find the linux one if the
httpd were a linux binary. In which case, httpd would have failed to
start if linux_base weren't installed.

	<mike