Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 14:49:25 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        past@netmode.ntua.gr, glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java IDEs

Hi:

It seems to me that porting JBuilder and porting a JDK are very different.
I offered to see if Inprise would port JBuilder because on they claim that
it is written in pure Java (so it shouldn't be too difficult to port) and
they tout it's multi-platform nature, so an additional platform, which is
currently underserved, should be a positive thing for them.

An "official" port of the JDK, involves licensing and other issues that I
don't have a good grasp of, but seems to be much more complicated than
Inprise porting software that they own.  Inprise recently made an official
JKD port on Linux, but they had to team with Sun and they had Blackdown's
port (at Release Candidate level) to work from.

In sum, porting JBuilder does not imply that a JDK would also be ported.  I
agree with your reasoning, however, that a JBuilder port could start a
relationship between FreeBSD and Inprise - which could result in a JDK port
in the future, and would send a signal to Sun.  *IF* Inprise agreed to port
JBuilder, they may only port the _free_ Foundation edition (at first) since
the Professional and Enterprise editions might be more work (Enterprise, for
example, includes an EJB Application Server).  Additionally, I am still not
convinced that a native port of an IDE is necessary or desireable since it
appears that IDE's will work just fine under linux emulation.

I'd like to hear from people who have tried/use various Java IDE's before I
approach my friend at Inprise. Is a native IDE port needed for 1)
performance, 2) added functionality, 3) interoperability?

John