Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 2002 13:20:14 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE not easily scalable to large servers ... ?

Terry Lambert (who fits my arbitrary definition of a "good" cynic)
writes:
> It's a hazard of Open Source projects, in general, that there are
> so many people hacking on whatever they think is cool that nothing
> ever really gets built to a long term design plan that's stable
> enough that a book stands a chance of having a 1 year lifetime.

I could not help but notice your multiple attempts at expresing this
particular concept often, that is...an implied necessity of a book
that explains what's going on under the kernel hood. I agree that such
a book would rapidly be out of date, but I also see the necessity
thereof.

So, it's time to question the assumption that the information you want
available should be in "a book".

Many websites have "annotation" as a form of ad-hoc documentation
(e.g. php.net). Why not have someone take a crack at documenting the
FreeBSD kernel, and perhaps use some annotation feature to create a
"living" document which (hopefully) comes close to describing the
kernel architechture?

If you want to track a moving target, perhaps you need to use a moving
track?
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"What's so special about the Net? People -still- don't
listen..."
                                  -The Unknown Drummer