Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:08:42 +1100
From:      jesse reynolds <jesse@va.com.au>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   jdk 1.1 (and 1.2) install problems on 4.1.1-RELEASE

Hi

I'm having awful problems trying to get any sort of java functioning
on FreeBSD. I've tried the native freebsd jdk 1.2 beta, and linux 1.2
jdk, neither of which work for me, they don't compile basically.

So i thought I should try something more pedestrian. I'd be happy to
just have a v1.1 jdk running, so I've been trying to get jdk1.1.8
running, to no avail.

I'm trying to install jdk1.1.8 from the ports collection. To be sure,
I downloaded a fresh tar file of the port (/usr/ports/java/jdk) and
ran this. As I had tried installing it a few other times, this is a
'make reinstall'...

bash-2.04# make reinstall
===>  Installing for jdk-1.1.8
===>   jdk-1.1.8 depends on executable: javavm - found
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/jdk1.1.8
(cd /usr/ports/java/jdk/work/jdk1.1.8 && /usr/bin/tar -c -f - .)  |
(cd /usr/local/jdk1.1.8 && /usr/bin/tar --unlink -x -f -)
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/share/java/classes
/bin/mkdir -p /usr/local/share/doc/java
===>   Generating temporary packing list
** Missing package files for jdk-1.1.8.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk.
bash-2.04#

the error is "missing package files for jdk-1.1.8" - but I have no
idea what files are missing...

I've also tried downloading the whole jdk from www.freebsd.org/java
and putting it in /usr/local/jdk1.1.8 but it complains that some
version 3 library files are not around. I've tried making sym links
from these to their version 4 equivalents, but then when i try to run
anything with java i get segmentation violations and java core dumps.

Perhaps 1.1.8 just won't run on 4.X freebsd???

Cheers

Jesse

PS, I'm just wanting to run Apache Tomcat and Cocoon, which will work
with either 1.1 or 1.2 JDK's, which JDK do you think I'll have the
best luck with?

Cheers

Jesse

--
       Jesse Reynolds - Virtual Artists Pty Ltd - http://www.va.com.au

     Email: jesse (at) va.com.au            > Web Hosting
     Phone: +61 2 9590 8749                 > Streaming Media Services
         ?: http://jesse.va.com.au          > Telehousing / Colocation
       ICQ: 4766684                         > Internet Systems Consulting

              http://www.google.com/search?q=site:va.com.au+fun