Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 14:26:56 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, frank hagen <teleport23r@hotmail.com>, JoeB <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Subject:   Re: Modem Driver Question!

> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 07:22:21 +1000 (EST)
> From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Paul=20Jansen?= <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> This simply isn't true anymore!!!
> There have been numerous posts on the lists to suport
> this.  Please check before you tell people no...
> I use a Lucent PCI 'winmodem' quite happily in my
> desktop system at home.  Look for the 'ltmdm' driver.
> It doesn't support everythign but it's worth a look.

Specifically, it does not support the Agre/Lucent AC97 DSP based
modems that are part of many newer laptops and even many desktops. I
suspect that they are built into the new Intel chip-sets as they
declare themselves to be ICH systems.

These are growing increasingly common and are not supported by ltmdm.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)