Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 1996 22:32:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      batie@agora.rdrop.com (Alan Batie)
To:        tpatel@ecpi.com (Tushar Patel)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, tpatel@ecpi.com
Subject:   Re: Help: Random hangup with Boca16 & Microcom modem.

> I am seeing random hangup on this modems. It is at the point were lot of
> users are complaining.

> Has anybody seen this?

It comes and goes, and I've always attributed it to line noise.  The way
to tell is to ask the user if there's a long pause before the carrier drops
(that's the modem retraining, trying to resurrect the connection from the
ashes).

> By any chance this is because of the DTR drop from the Boca16 to modem?
> (The default is 0.05 second, should I change this to higher value -0.10-?
> Will this make difference? Or I am on the wrong track?)

Dropping DTR would certainly do it, and I wonder now, if silo overflows
might somehow cause the port to get reset, triggering a momentary DTR
drop?  It seems a long shot...

> "/kernel: pid 19306 : ppp: uid 0: exited on signal 10"

This will certainly cause it; it's the equivalent of exiting your shell
to logout.  You should find pppd.core laying around in the user's home
directory, and it would be worthwhile to find out why it's bombing...

--
Alan Batie                   ______      We're Starfleet officers:
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      Weird is part of the job.

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.