Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 07:57:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew M Groener <matt@xlrn.ucsb.edu>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   out of mbuf crash

I have a consistent crash in 2.2.2 on Thursdays with the following last
message in /var/log/messages:

Sep 20 05:26:44 serf /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
Oct  2 05:23:58 serf /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
Sep 13 05:10:32 serf /kernel.old.old: Out of mbuf clusters - increase
maxusers!
Sep  4 04:07:50 serf /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!
Oct  9 05:29:09 serf /kernel: Out of mbuf clusters - increase maxusers!

I have checked that nothing unusual begins anywhere near this time in
cron (users or root), and yet it's nearly consistent.

I have increased maxusers in the kernel to 128 without success.

Could this be a runaway process which continuously spawns processes
(sometime before the crash time), until it runs out of mbuf space? I can
check for processes Thursday morning, hoping to find them before I
crash.

Lastly, I am witholding migration to 2.2.5 until I hear word that
netatalk works again (since I rely on this heavily).

Cheers,

-matt

Matthew M. Groener, Systems Manager                Phone: (805) 893-4906
U of C Santa Barbara Extension                     Pager: (805) 882-6170
matt@xlrn.ucsb.edu  http://www.xlrn.ucsb.edu       Fax:   (805) 893-4943
"A radioactive cat has eighteen half-lives."