Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:40:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su (=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, kaleb@x.org
Subject:   Re: A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

> >BTW, this hack adds 24K to the size of a minimal statically linked
> >program `main() {}' and defeats the point of most of the specially named
> >routines in crt0.c.  E.g., there is a special version of getenv() named
> >_getenv() to avoid the namespace pollution and bloat from getenv(), but
> >the hack calls getenv() anyway; there are special versions of read() and
> >write(), but _startup_setlocale() references things in stdio that reference
> >read() and write().
>
> And what? Now too many pgms require proper locale support, even ls,
> so we can't avoid this thing. Code added regardles of
> ENABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE set or not, so 'hack' means this variable
> as I understand and not code added. As I already say,
> I can revert default case to pick ctype and use variable
> DISABLE_STARTUP_LOCALE to disable it for debugging purposes.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Why do we think ls requires this?

Because the default locale is 'C', doesn't mean that the default locale
should not be ISO 8 bit clean.

Also, programs whose output is limited in this fashion should be
explicitly calling setlocale(), or they are only half-assed in their
attempt to support internationalization.

In the case that it is explicitly called (ie: programs supposedly using
these features), then the hack is unnecessary.

Likewise, if the program is *not* using theses features, then they
should stick their ugly noses into the tent uninvited.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.