Date:      Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:02:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: default file permissions

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Sam Carleton wrote:

> I need to set the default file permission from group readable to group
> readable/writable for some users.  What is the best way to do this
> globally?

Well, I'm sure you know about umask, but...

> The catch...  I would like to set this up only for some directories, the
> directories where multipal folks are doing development.  For home
> directories and things I would like the defaul permission to be no
> access for the users group.  Is it possible to set things up this way?

Short answer, I don't think so.

That being said, an "ugly hack" would be to place the directory on
something like an MSDOS partition, and mount it with a specific
mask...  did I mention that would be ugly?

Even more "fun" might be to modify mount_null to have a mask option...
Indeed, mount_null is broken, so I think *any* patches for it at all
would be welcome. ;-)

-Paul.