Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:33:40 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        Oleg Baranov <ol@csa.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can't get temperature info from AMD FX-6300 Processor

On 02/16/13 13:47, Oleg Baranov wrote:
> On 16.02.2013 23:20, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
<snip>
>> someone, mistakenly responding to me, suggested k8temp. I have no
>> experience with that, though.
>>

> k8temp was superseded by amdtemp in around 8.0-8.1 release (I think).
> Though it doesn't matter when both don't work.

True, also I didn't know k8temp was superceded by amdtemp, just passing
on a suggestion.

> I've managed to get some data from onboard ITE chip. Accuracy is a
> really big concern and I doubt it can be trusted. But I've measured
> idle/load temperatures by software and additionally using infrared
> thermometer when I was building the machine and when I see approximately
> the same values I'm thinking it is okay.
> Another indirect method for me is to monitor fans. When I can see all of
> them working fine and environment temperature is known to be within
> reasonable range then I can expect  CPU temperature to be quite
> predictable. To use this you have to trust your thermal compound as may
> dry with time loosing its capability to transfer heat effectively.

I'd just be happy to get it displaying in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL
http://copyfree.org/licenses/owl/license.txt