Date:      Sat, 03 Feb 2001 20:49:55 -0800
From:      Bruce Lacey <BBLacey@Home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Need help designing a solution to propagate dhcpclient dns IP changes to dhcpd

--B_3064078195_478626

What is the best solution to the following scenario?

I have a FreeBSD 4.1.1 box acting as a gateway/natd combo for my internal
net using dual NICS.  The external NIC is connected to a cable modem and
receives the interface configuration parameters via DHCP (dhcpclient).  The
internal NIC has dhcdp bound to it to serve addresses to my internal
network.   dhcpd requires that you place the domain-name-servers in the
dhcpd.conf file in order to pass them to the client computers on the
internal net but my ISP changes the domain name server=B9s IPs periodically.
The ISP dns IP changes are updated in resolv.conf by dhclient but they are
not inherited by dhcpd due to the =B3hardwired=B2 domain-name-servers option in
dhcpd.conf.=20

Is there an easy solution to propagating the DNS IP change to my internal
network?

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

--B_3064078195_478626

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Need help designing a solution to propagate dhcpclient dns IP change=
s to dhcpd</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Geneva">What is the best solution to the following scenario?<BR=

<BR>
I have a FreeBSD 4.1.1 box acting as a gateway/natd combo for my internal n=
et using dual NICS. &nbsp;The external NIC is connected to a cable modem and=
 receives the interface configuration parameters via DHCP (dhcpclient). &nbs=
p;The internal NIC has dhcdp bound to it to serve addresses to my internal n=
etwork. &nbsp;&nbsp;dhcpd requires that you place the domain-name-servers in=
 the dhcpd.conf file in order to pass them to the client computers on the in=
ternal net but my ISP changes the domain name server&#8217;s IPs periodicall=
y. &nbsp;The ISP dns IP changes are updated in resolv.conf by dhclient but t=
hey are not inherited by dhcpd due to the &#8220;hardwired&#8221; domain-nam=
e-servers option in dhcpd.conf. <BR>
<BR>
Is there an easy solution to propagating the DNS IP change to my internal n=
etwork?<BR>
<BR>
Thanks in advance,<BR>
Bruce</FONT>