Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:02:06 +0930 (CST)
From:      Mark Newton <newton@internode.com.au>
To:        wghicks@bellsouth.net (W Gerald Hicks)
Cc:        bright@rush.net, imp@harmony.village.org, jb@cimlogic.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, wghicks@wghicks.bellsouth.net.adelaide.on.net
Subject:   Re: Adding desktop support (please don't)

W Gerald Hicks wrote:

[ "resource forks" ]
 > The concept isn't necessarily limited to GUI applications and has been
 > successfully used by OS/2, Macs and Windows among others.  I'm not aware
 > of anything similar for any Unix but ELF seems to open the door for
 > interesting possibilities there too.

SGI's XFS supports the idea of multiple streams per file.  There's a
btree of streams referenced by each XFS inode, and an API you can use
to manipulate the various streams.

By default, they provide a standard data stream, an ACL stream and a
guaranteed-rate I/O stream (so you can say things like, "I want to access
this data at 5 Mbytes/sec.  Kick other I/O requests out of the way to
give me what I need as a matter of priority...")

   - mark

----
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton@internode.com.au (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton@atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82232999