Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 00:00:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Scott Nolde <scott@mediaone.net>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        <smnoldelinux@mediaone.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: error messages

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Christoph Sold wrote:

> Scott Nolde schrieb:
> >
> > I'm getting these error messages when ripping mp3s:
> > Jun  7 22:03:43 bsd /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 -
> > resetting
> > Jun  7 22:03:43 bsd /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
> > Jun  7 22:06:43 bsd /kernel: ata0-master: timeout waiting to give
> > command=ca s=80 e=00
> >[snip]
> >
> > After this, if I can, i must ssh in and reboot the box.  I've got a four
> > month old western digital 40G western digital hard drive.
> >
> > I'm running kernel FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #10
> >
> > All my filesystems are local, mounted with softupdates and the noatime bit
> > set.  Additionally, I've got vfs.vmiodirenable=1.
> >
> > Is my hard drive dying prematurely?
>
> Either that, or your [ATAPI] CD-ROM blocks transfers to your hard disk.
> Try moving the CD-ROM drive to another ATA bus.
>
> HTH
> -Christoph Sold

I think I may have found my problem.  I shut down my computer and was
unable to power up the computer.  A loose power connector to the hard
drive may have caused the errors, but the power supply was toast.  I
bought a new power supply and now all is well.

Thanks,
Scott

---begin-encrypted-message---
    !SKCUS TN SWODNIW