Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 03:59:22 +0200
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        Ben Schumacher <bs@cyalchemy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Server Hardware Configuration Question.

>What I need is an idea of a good hardware configuration of (most likely) 2=
=20
>machines that would be able to handle this much potential traffic.  I've=20
>had a lot of experience with FreeBSD and think that it would be the best=20
>solution for this, running a combination of Apace and MySQL, but I need to=
=20
>know what I can do on the hardware side to support it.
>
>I guess what I really need is a good idea of what is necessary to make=20
>these machines powerful and responsive.  I think the best solution for the=
=20
>web server would be a powerful P3 Xeon server, using a hardware RAID system=
=20
>with at least 1GB of RAM.  The database server, on the other hand, I'm a=20
>little more unsure about.  I haven't had enough experience with MySQL to=20
>know what keeps to running fast and smooth.   I figure that it probably=20
>relies heavily on drive speed and RAM, but how important are issues like=20
>having a large L2 cache on the processor?
Hi!

Well, I've discussed those server topics on another list already, and we
agreed there to the following statements, after also having discussed the
famous mindcraft bench Win NT vs Linux. German mag c't also did its own
implementation of the test, using practical parameters for it, and did
those accordingly to the real load statistic of their own web server.
(www.heise.de has approx 100 hits/sec in peak times, on a SUN Enterprise=
 450)
There is also a link with an english translation, with some nice graphics,
doing the same tests with different numbers of CPUs...

General statements were (Based on Intel architecture (They had a quad
Siemens Primergy)

The more static the content is, the less numbers of CPUs are needed

You need lots of RAM, because you have numerous handles to deal with. HUge
L2 caches are not that bad, also. Only question is, does the added value
(price) due to more 2nd level cache corresponds with the performance gain.

1 or 2 ethernet cards are enough (at least under Linux with its TCP/IP
stack and SMP handling), they shall be enough.
(For fault tolerance or load-balancing, ok- they are cheap nowadays...=20
(That was NTs advantage- to blast enough content out to saturate 4 NICs)

Put the journals (database access, logs, transaction files, everything you
need to write to another partition/HDD/RAID than that where you have to
distribute your contents from.

Look at:
http://www.heise.de/ct/english/99/13/186-1/
for the comparison between NT/Linux, where some very interesting aspects
were evaluated

There is no english online version available for their former stress test
of their own web-server. IN short, their own Enterprise 450 Dual CPU stands
at Xlink in a server farm, and has AFAIR only 1 NIC actually used. They put
it into service in March this year, using Solaris 2.6 on it, having 100
hits/sec in peak times.

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

Olaf Hoyer   ICQ: 22838075       mailto: Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
home: www.nightfire.de (The home of the burning CPU)

Wer mit Ungeheuern k=E4mpft, mag zusehn,=20
da=DF er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird.
Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund=20
auch in dich hinein.
(Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und B=F6se)