Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 17:03:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Out of file descriptor error 3.1-BETA

Hello.
As I reported in the past, I got an error while cvsupdating our
serversystem saturday, 13th Feb. After getting the latest stuff,
recompiling and installing by make world, installing new bootblocks
by using disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 /dev/da0s1
and additionally using the new rc files and those located in
/usr/erc/etc/defaults, the system starts up, reporting all its
devices and hardware and then, when rporting that it is changing
root device to da0s1a, it turns into single user mode while printing
an error:
		.: Out of file descriptors

The machine is an dual PII 350MHz, 256 MBytes RAM, Matrox G200 VGA,
Adaptec 2940UW and 2940 AU controller, Adaptec 10/100 MBit NIC. The
root disk is a 2,4 GB IBM DCAS UW harddrive (seems to be r#eliable
the last 12 months). Kernel is configured to have vinum (but not used),
softupdates (copied the newest file to the right place), ccd, changed
some NMBCLUSTERS options to higher values, options KEY, configured
device dpt0 (without using it).

The error occurs a the place where normaly the message of adding
swapdevices is printed onto the console. The first time I thought it
might be a problem of misconfigured swapdevices (I use a config row
in the kernelconfig like this: config kernel root on da0 swap on da0
and da1 and da2 and da3 dump on da0, additionally I have changed the
value of maximum allowed swapdevices to 5, the I have entries in
/etc/fstab for each swapdevice BEFORE the entry for mounting the
root device). I changed nearly all possible configuration options
relating to the swapdevices, but without any success. I can not
start the system by using the GENERIC kernel, no chance. After
the system stops and forcing me to go into single user mode, I can
mount all devices without problem (mount -a mounts them all except
the swapdevices). typing swapon -a gets all the devices I have configured.
So I can work an doing anything while I'm in single user mode, but I
can't change to multiuser mode.
I think the system has completely changed to ELF binaries since I
ran 3.1-BETA from the stuff of the last week sucessfully without
any disturbations. I started over Christmas with a fresh 3.0-RELAESE
and take then at the beginning of the year some steps for upgrading to
the new kernel. Well, until now all seems to work pretty.

What is going wrong? What does the error ".: Out of file descriptor"
mean? Where is the place or stage it could occur?

Well, if someone is out there who has any idea, please give me a sign.
I try to run sendmail to get infos and email ...

Best wishes,

Gruss O. Hartmann
harto000@mail.uni-mainz.de
ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de

i.A. Systemadministration IPAMZLX
Klimadatenserver des IPA, Unisversitaet Mainz