Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 12:40:59 +0000
From:      Adam Laurie <adam@algroup.co.uk>
To:        Rob Simmons <rsimmons@wlcg.com>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "write only" fs/files ?

Rob Simmons wrote:

> There isn't a windows client for amanda.  What you have to do is use
> smbclient and gnutar.  The windows section of your amanda backup will be
> the weak link since the passwords are only encrypted with NT1.

Ah. However, it doesn't need to be weakened for NT - I've tunnelled
samba mounts through SSH so it should be possible with stunnel as well.

> For the *nix boxen, stunnel is a good idea.  Kerberos v4 is supported in
> amanda, which can be used for authentication as well as encrypting the
> dump itself.

stunnel also supports client cert authentication.

cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Laurie                   Tel: +44 (20) 8742 0755
A.L. Digital Ltd.             Fax: +44 (20) 8742 5995