Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 02:15:27 +0100
From:      girgen@FreeBSD.org
To:        whitevamp <whitevamp47@hotmail.com>, ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: apache cant bind to port

--On m=E5ndag, december 27, 2004 22.18.29 -0800 whitevamp=20
<whitevamp47@hotmail.com> wrote:

> just whanted to post a followup on this , heres what all ive done sence i
> posted this message
> 1.when to  /usr/ports/www/apache13 , and did a make deinstall and then a
> make clean , then a make install. still same thing after words.
> 2. decided to go and try to install apache13-with-ssl , nop same thing
> there.
>
> so why am i getting this error ?? i could see it if i had compiled it as =
> non super user , and / or trying to run it as a non superuser , but i
> compiled and installed it as root and trying to run it as root.
> and thats exeactly what its acting like . I tryd setting the port to 8080
> and it worked all execpt for it couldnt write to the pid file .

If it cannot write to the PID file, it is definitely running as the wrong=20
user. What's your apache config, is it standard install or did you modify=20
it? is your httpd binary setuid, or something? Could you send output from

$ ls -l /usr/local/sbin/httpd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  388651 Oct 20 12:34 /usr/local/sbin/httpd

How do you start apache? Best way is to add

 apache_enable=3D"YES"

to /etc/rc.conf, and then use

 # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh start

to start.

Do you have a www user in /etc/passwd? does its entry look like this:

 www:*:80:80:World Wide Web Owner:/nonexistent:/sbin/nologin

/Palle