Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:15:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@cdrom.com>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ultra 5 workstation announcement

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Wes Peters wrote:

% I presume all of you on this list got the good news about the new Ultra 5
% workstation last week.  If not, go visit www.sun.com and learn about their
% new low-cost workstation.
%
% The "loss leader" configuration includes an UltraSPARC IIi processor, 64Mb
% of SDRAM, a 4.3 Gb disk, graphics controller, 10/100 Mb ethernet, and 3 PCI
% slots for $2995.  This would probably be a good machine to run FreeBSD-SPARC
% on.  ;^)

The 4500rpm IDE disk doesn't bother me as much as the measly 8bit graphics

"On-board ATI Rage II+ DVD Graphics Controller Chip  The Ultra 5
workstation comes with a standard, on-board 8-bit ATI Rage II+ DVD
graphics controller with 2 MB of SGRAM video RAM. A highly integrated
graphics controller, the ATI Rage II+ includes 2-D, 3-D, and video
accelerators, palette DAC, and a dual-clock synthesizer to provide
low-cost, 8-bit color graphics. A standard VGA connector (DB15)
located on the back panel attaches to both Sun monitors and standard
VGA monitors"

http://www.sun.com/desktop/products/Ultra5/u5technologies.html

Its definately a step in the right direction though!  I wonder if we
can expect cheaper clones in the coming months?

Murray Stokely