Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:14:36 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> What's this weird fixation one person has about sources not being built
> where they always have been.  :-(

I want to share one source directory on multiple machines or point the
user at a CDROM mounted /usr/src and say "go make world" in the usual
way with no special case handling required.  You don't know how many
times I've fielded requests from people wanting this functionality, to
say nothing of myself.

> Oh, so I have to add some confusing redundancy to my system now to get
> anywhere near the behaviour I'm used to...  :-(

Oh foo, one line in your /etc/make.conf will do the trick and you
never have to think about it again.

> It wasn't broken (much).

It was enough to be a perennial thorn in my side (or I wouldn't have
fixed it, geeze!).

						Jordan