Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 13:32:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        John Robert LoVerso <loverso@opengroup.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2-980219-SNAP GENERIC reboots

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, John Robert LoVerso wrote:

> I have a PPro 180 (Dec Celebris GL180) that I just upgraded from 2.2.1 to
> the 2.2-980219-SNAP.  Right after upgrading, the machine crashed and rebooted
> several times.  AFAIK, it always happened when I was giving Netscape 4.04 a
> mouse click (or PageDown key).  Unfortunately, I don't have a backtrace
> because a dump device wasn't configured then.  However, since adding a
> dump device, I've also built a non-GENERIC kernel (no I386_CPU/I486_CPU,
> some other changes), and I haven't had the machine crash since.
>
> I just note this because before I went to the non-GENERIC kernel, the system
> was anything but "stable".

I had that problem on the 0216 -GENERIC kernel.  I also did not have DDB
or dumping available -- the machine would bite when it first attempted to
swap -- supervisor read, page not present, etc.  As soon as I stuck a
custom kernel on the machine (with DDB), it stopped happening.  If there
is interest, I can turn on a dump device and boot the GENERIC kernel again
and see what happens.  To trigger it, all I needed to do was have it swap
a little bit:

#include <stdlib.h>
void main(void)
{