Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 16:03:13 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MAX_UID ?

On 2000-Mar-14 15:42:52 +1100, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> wrote:
>On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Mar 13, 2000 at 05:28:47PM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
>> > #define isschar(type)	(!isfloat(type) && issigned(type) && sizeof(type) == 1)
>
>> This is marvellous in it's simplicity of interface.
>>
>> Yet, using sizeof(char) and assuming that it's going to be 1, strikes me
>> like a dangerous thing to do.  I have never heard of machines where this
>
>It is sure to be 1 (the C standard requires this).  The problem is
>going in the opposite direction -- sizeof(long) may also be 1.

If this was comp.std.c, then I'd agree that such constructs may fail
in some environments.  It's not so clear that we need to worry about
this here (this being FreeBSD).  I believe that most or all such
machines belong to Seymour Cray's legacy (CDC6600, Cray etc), and
aren't likely to be running FreeBSD (or any other free Unix).

I don't see any real impediment to such constructs being used within
FreeBSD.  A comment could be added warning of the problems if the
code is used on `unusual' architectures.

Peter