Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 1996 07:21:35 -0800
From:      Gary Crutcher <gcrutchr@nightflight.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

Having originally purchased and installed BSDI, it is really a no-brainer to
install.
Just answer the questions, and you are basically up and running.

The caveat for me was this:

        sgl user license        $ 995
        16 user license          1995  (this may be 64 user license, don't
remember)
        unlimited                2995

For an individual, or small business on a budget. This can be an issue.

I also installed Linux, and did not like it.
So...when I came across FreeBSD, I installed it, tried, and liked it very much.
Other than minor gliches, it has worked flawlessly for me for over 6 months.

One thing I did do BEFORE I PURCHASED ANY OF THE ABOVE OSes:

        Check hardware compaitbility for these products.

Looking back,  I still would have made the same decision.  The only product
I have found that would not work under FreeBSD is the EXCITE Search engine,
and this is because they packed the BSDI version of perl in it and the
makefile extracts it and uses it, which causes a coredump.  Other than that,
my Web site is working like a charm.

The $39.95 I paid for the FreeBSD CD-ROMs have been well worth the money.  I
have suggested FreeBSD to others who have asked me about low-cost, high
quality UNIX software for Web sites.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.

Gary

At 04:13 AM 3/6/96 -0800, you wrote:
>So many people ask me for comparative data on the two operating
>systems that I think it's time to give them what they want.
>
>As much as we generally dislike "taking positions" like that, I think
>we're only hurting ourselves at this point by hiding our light under a
>bushel, and the Linux advocates have never pulled their own punches
>here.  It's time to blow our own trumpets a bit!  We deserve it.
>
>In order to do this right (in some place in our WEB pages, I guess),
>we need to start collecting references to benchmark results, user
>testimonials and other "bullet point lists" of FreeBSD's principle
>strengths.
>
>If someone wants to take the point position on this, I'd also be very
>appreciative - I don't have as much time for these kinds of activities
>as I'd like.  I'm also happy to offer a FreeBSD CD subscription as a
>bribe, if it'll help! :-)
>
>The resulting comparison should ideally be no more than a
>netscape-sized page long, and written in HTML.
>
>Thanks!
>
>					Jordan

Gary Crutcher		E-mail:  gcrutchr@nightflight.com
Webmaster		   URL:  http://www.nightflight.com