Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:34:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        khill@surfsouth.com (Kenny Hill)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 1st installing freebsd  and 2nd installiing ms-dos

Kenny Hill:
 |I would like to know if it is possible for me to install freebsd on my
 |system first, and then install ms-dos on the same hard disk. I have 1.2
 |Gig. hard drive. I'm installing freebsd from cd-rom, and I'm using fdisk
 |editor to delete old dos partition and create new one for freebsd, while
 |saving space for another ms-dos installation. Will this work?

Well, I can't say I've done this -- always installed DOS first -- but to
maximize your probability of success, you might:

   1) Leave the first head on track 0 unallocated (Abs Sectors 1-63)

   2) Make sure your FreeBSD root partition and DOS partitions are
      below cylinder 1024 (unless you've got BIOS LBA)

Then from DOS floppy, fdisk and format the DOS partition, and add to your
multiboot menu.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com