Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 09:30:29 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@fac13.ds.psu.edu>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lyx & latex [was: Re: way to pipe latex files to printer? ]

Rahul railed,
> I itereated,
>> b) LyX tends to take *a lot* less keystrokes than raw latex, which is
>>    my single biggest concern

> But it takes more mouseclicks.  Which I find irritating after a while.

Mouseclicks? LyX?  No, we're against that :)  It was being able to see
*and* edit my equations at the same without my hands leaving the
keyboard that switched me from macs and word 4/5.1 to full-time unix
and lyx. If it was mousey, it never would have sold me.  I had *12 years*
invested in my word keystrokes & macros by that point, many aimed at
avoiding the rodent.

Almost everything already has key commands.  You can attach them to
anything else in ~/.lyx/lyxrc.  About the only things I encontered that
didn't already have bindings were some of the math symbols (hey,
there's a lot of them, and only so many choice keybindings).  I never
got around to using them for tables, but that's more a  matter of I usd
very few tables than everything else.  And you can always just use
Alt-L to start entering raw latex.

> More than that, I couldn't adjust the style files to my satisfaction,
> use postscript fonts, etc.

Somebody has given you horrible misinformation :(

You can use latex style rules (i forget what they're called, but
I used the  isuthesis latex package without a hitch), and you can
specify whatever fonts you want.  Actually, if you use a slower (486/
68030) machine, you need to dchange the default fonts to *avoid*
postscript.

LyX can also inhale virtually any latex and spit it back out again (the
things it can't do become more and more obscure as people import
weirder and weirder things :)

>  But perhaps if I hadn't already been using
> latex for a couple of years I'd have seen it differently.  It's an
> improvement on any wordprocessor, that's for sure.

Yes, definitely.  And if I had  a lot less equations (arrays with
integrals over limits within . . . . .) . . .

> I've recently finished the first draft of my dissertation, myself --
> entirely vim (with syntax highlighting) and latex, I don't ask for
> anything more :)

I modified the .fortran file to handle f90 in vim.  I never heard back
when I tried to submit it, and now I'm searching through all my
machines to see if a copy still exits :(

But my background project (after changing my mail-merge package from a
lyx patch to a library) will be to adapt lyx keystrokes to vim, so I
can use the same keystrokes in both.  I'm not sure how much it can be
automated to read arbitrary lyx files, since it will need to mess with
the cursor, too--e.g., M-e for emphasis becomes  \emph{} and *then* a
cursor movement to the left . . .

fwiw, there will be an ncurses version of lyx at some point (text
only), once toolkit-independence is reached.  I don't know when  that
is; I need to get around to resubscribing to the developer's list)
hawk