Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:55:07 +0100
From:      mess-mate <messmate@free.fr>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: loose packages

Thanks to all for the advices and also to Gary and Patrick.
I readed not only the handbook (20 times) but also ALL doc I founded=20
about FreeBSD ! So I know how to install from a port.
I payed for the 4 CD's, so at least the packages must be there,=20
shouldn't ? It's cheaper to pay this cd's than download at 64K.
The second pb is that I can't connect to the internet on FreeBSD !!!
(my isdn card is not supported and I can only connect with Linux.)
Second; when looking to the dir about KDE on version 4.5=20
(ftp.freebsd.org), there are :
KDE 2.2.2
KDE 2.2.2_1
KDE 2.2.2_2=20
KDE 2.2.2_3
+ additonnal packages (like multimedia, network, etc...) but only for=20
one or another version of KDE. Not clear at all.

To return to the ground of the pb :
The cd's are there and I installed KDE2 by the install.
Several KDE packages are loost by a remove (my stupid).
I'm not familiar with FBSD and there is not enough doc about pkg.
Ok,Ok, I know. I have to buy a good book about FBSD but the one I=20
want make part of the distrib 4.5 and I have to pay for it 3x te=20
US-price in France.=20

So, the advice to do a pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/kde*
did the trick.

Sorry, but in my opinion a /stand/sysinstall or an update had todo=20
this also.=20
Apparantly the update procedure can't add not installed packages for=20
the same FBSD version nor /stand/sysinstall can't do it.=20

If I'm wrong my apologies for this.
mess-mate

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 17:38, you wrote:
| On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 04:47:28PM +0100, mess-mate wrote:
| > On Sunday 10 March 2002 19:30, you wrote:
| > | reinstall it from the ports.
| > | cd /usr/ports/x11/kde2
| > | make && make install
| >
| > Sorry, this is not the solution.
| > To do this there must be packages in /usr/ports/distfiles or
| > anywhere, isn't ?
|
| The ports collection will download the packages itself unless
| special circumstances exist (which is rare.)
|
| > My pb is that I only have 4 cd's of FBSD 4.5.
| > 1. binarys for the install (seems no packages dir)
| > 2. fixit and other binarys (seems no packages dir)
| > 3. other applications (what they are I don't know)
| > 4. idem as 3.
| > So the only way to reinstal KDE is to do it from my isntall CD,
| > but HOW ?
| > A /stand/sysinstall can't do that I think. Tryed several times
| > without success.
| > Seems ones you have installed FBSD and removed packages after the
| > install ther is no way to reinstall those packages (I mean from
| > the install cd's ) !
| >

| > mess-mate
|
| According to:
|
| http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.5R/errata.html
|
| several KDE packages were left off the CDs. This issue
| came up on this very list a few weeks ago. See the
| archives.
|
| mike
|
| > | this takes a long time, so do it overnight or something.
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > | Hello,
| > | I did a pkg_remove of a package and loosed several others, kde
| > | included. (stupid)
| > | How can I reinstall KDE from my CD's ? FBSD 4.5.
| > | Did a /stand/sysinstall but didn't see anything related to kde
| > | :-( Thanks
| > |
| > | To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
| > | with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
| > |
| > |
| > |