Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:38:51 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@harmonic.co.il>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpc.lockd

Quoting Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > The rpc.lockd(8) is marked as broken in /etc/defaults/rc.conf in 4.1-R
> > My question is - how bad is it broken?
>
> I don't know if anyone already answered this, but here is the answer:
>
> The rpc.lockd in 4.x simply answers "Yes" to all locking requests, and
> does not maintain any state.  This means that if your programs actually
> need locking, running rpc.lockd will cause problems (file corruption
> etc).
>
> On the other hand, if your programs don't need locking and are just
> making
> the locking calls for the hell of it, rpc.lockd will allow these
> programs
> to run rather than just hanging up.
>
> There was talk a few months ago about someone having implemented NFS
> locking properly, but I haven't heard any more since - check the mailing
> list archives.
>
> [I wrote the existing 'hack' implementation].

Oh my! :(
That's a late reply indeed :(
I use to run it on the new nfs server, because the man page says it's client-side broken.
But now I find out that there's no locks at all.. I just hope that nothing got mixed up..
Perhaps the manpage should reflect this ..ghm.. unexpected behaviour?

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]