Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 2010 09:17:52 +0100
From:      "Marcin M. Jessa" <lists@yazzy.org>
To:        'FreeBSD-ISP' <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Registrars with free DynDNS services of my own domains.

On 02/22/2010 10:39 PM, Marcin M. Jessa wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> Many registrars offer free DNS hosting if you register your domain
> with them.
> I need  a bit more. I need a registrar which not only will "host" my
> own domains but also in exchange give me
> a dyndns service so I can automatically update the @ records of my
> domains as an extra free of charge service.
> Do you guys know of any registrars that can do that?

I actually figured out I can run my own services for all my domains
on a dynamic IP without breaking any DNS related RFC.

I have 2 DNS servers, a master with static IP and a slave with dynamic
IP (both can actually have a dynamic IP).
The resgistrar (godaddy) does not require IPs when defining custom DNS
servers so one of the
DNS servers can run just fine on a dynamic IP as long as it's host has
defined an A record and not a CNAME.
And as long as the Arecord for my domains is not set it should be fine.

But not having A records for the domains will of course mean that
I won't be able to access http://domain.tld , just http://www.domain.tld
But there is a solution to it too.
Having access to the master DNS I just can easly update all the A
records with a script.
I use PowerDNS to host my domains and it's just a metter of running one
SQL query to have everything updated and working just fine.

All I have to do is to check if IP of my dyndns host has changed and run
the SQL query
to update all the A records on the master server to match that new IP.

Thanks.