Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 20:11:47 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Handbook print output abnormality

  There is a problem somewhere in the doc toolchain that is
introducing a small corruption to our PostScript output.  If you have
the printed 1st edition, then you can turn to page 50 to view the
problem.  Otherwise, you can download the PostScript version and turn
to (page 49 in my local tree).  The problem is with the permissions
table on the first page of Chapter 3.  The third column of the first
row should contain "---".  This is what is contained in the SGML
source, and in the intermediate book.tex-ps.  It appears to me that
dvi2ps is removing the second hyphen anytime that it sees two hyphens
together.  (rows 1, 2, and 5).  Does anyone know why this might be the
case?

	- Murray