Date:      25 Feb 1997 08:27:50 +0000
From:      Ashley Baumann <ashleyb@sco.com>
To:        "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding memory slows down 486 to less than 386SX!

I know very little about FreeBSD internals, but could this be
related to DMA?. My understanding is that ISA controllers can only
DMA to memory < 16M. If FreeBSD does not guarantee that the disk
buffers are below 16M the CPU has to do the work. This could
account for the slowdown and the increased CPU utilisation.

Just a thought
Ashleyb