Date:      Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:57:02 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   How to create several dsp units? Help needed.

Hi.

I am working on patch extending snd_hda functionality, making it less
quirky and more conforming with UAA specification. I expect to implement
there support for several independent audio devices within the same
hardware codec (not equal mixed together channels like vchans, but
independent inputs and outputs working on different connectors). Looks
like I have managed good with codec part but now I need to announce this
functionality to sound subsystem in which I am not very good yet. Could
somebody give me a hint in this area or point to some documents?

As I understand I need somehow to create several /dev/dspX and possibly
several /dev/mixerX devices to let applications operate them
independently. Is it possible to do within the same pcm0 hardware device?

Second pcm_addchan() call creates only pcm0:play:dsp0.p1, but I need
something like pcm0:play:dsp1.p0. Is in possible or dsp0 is hard bound
to the pcm0?

If dsp0 hard bound to pcm0 then is it possible to create pcm1
dynamically within same hardware?

Thanks for any support.

--
Alexander Motin