Date:      Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:12:06 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reminder - changes to sources and such

Karl Denninger wrote:

> Can I ask why the makefiles for the world don't build in this order?
>
> 1.      Build the "basic" GNU kit necessary to compile things.
> 2.      Build the LIBRARIES necessary to LINK things.
> 3.      Rebuild the gnu kid using (2); you now have a self-consistent
>         development system regardless of what you started with.

This won't work in all cases, because the libraries don't always match
the kernel. You need to build your tools against the includes and
libraries that correspond to the machine your building on.

> 4.      Build the world's binaries.
> 5.      Process anything in /usr/share or other places that requires
>         the use of those binaries, using the OBJECTS compiled in step (4).

This won't work if you're cross-building.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/