Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 10:22:14 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup port upgrade

--=-zsbw0pdLrDQQWozhB5bO

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 13:47 -0800, John Polstra wrote:

> The fix for the bug is in the cvsupd server.  Lots of people
> would appreciate it if you'd upgrade your cvsup installation to
> "cvsup-16.1h_2" (or the cvsup-without-gui port with the same
> revision).

The three machines I more or less watch over:

	cvsup{5,8,18}.freebsd.org/cvsup{9,18}.us.freebsd.org
	cvsup9.freebsd.org
	cvsup10.{us.}freebsd.org

should be all set.  I'll do cvsup-master some time soon, given its
clients this bug shouldn't be biting any of them (mostly just mirror
sites).

That first one on the list could still use a little help...  It's what I
point existing names at when a site disappears on us.  Of the names it's
currently supporting we could use:

  1) Two new sites in the USA to take over cvsup{9,18}.us.freebsd.org
  2) Two sites anywhere in the world to take over=20
     cvsup{8,18}.freebsd.org.

For (2) we would be looking for already existing sites that have a
large-ish server set up for it but you feel it is currently severely
under-utilized.  We would like the servers in the TLD to be established
sites with a good track record, good network connectivity, and capable
of handling a fairly significant load.  Based on observing the three
machines I watch over it's best if the machine have 1Gb to 2Gb of RAM
and, if possible, SCSI disks (SCSI disks is less important if it's got
2Gb memory).  With that the machine can typically handle 15 to 25
simultaneous clients and still remain "responsive" (meaning it doesn't
take forever for each client to finish its updates).  With less than 1Gb
RAM the servers tend to become *severely* I/O bound.

If you'd like to volunteer for any of the above let me know.  :-)
=09
--=20
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu