Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 23:29:32 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>, "Jim Conner" <jconner@enterit.com>
Cc:        <patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG>, "Josh Thomas" <jdt2101@ksu.edu>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW rules and outward connections

What's even worse than the open servers are the Windows home systems on
DSL and Cable modem links that have ignorant users that open e-mail with
trojans and such that install into their system.  Crackers use these to
create
large networks of IRC reflectors and run DoS attacks against people.

The increasing use of Wake on Lan adapters on DSL-connected systems is
another problem area too.  Crackers can even boot up Windows systems
remotely
that have worms and trojans on them that are on DSL and Cable networks now.
The travesty is that there's free firewalls like ZoneAlarm that the Windows
users can download to protect themselves.

I haven't decided which is worse now - the ancient Linux systems that
cheapskate
companies get some consultant to set up then never patch or upgrade after
that,
or the Windows systems that are on DSL run by clueless users.  At least the
users with the Windows systems can shut them down, the companies won't
generally
because they usually are running those systems as production webservers and
the
like.