Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 23:27:52 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        brian@pobox.com
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a pr

>c) All I asked for from you was an indication that help would be
>welcome in this area - that I wouldn't incur more attacks for
>putting forth an offer. Instead, I get more knee-jerk responses
>from you - this sure looks like a canned response, not a
>reaction to this particular thread. "Ah. It's a
>Chucky/Daemon/Beastie thread. Personal insult, cast aspersions."
>
>If you're going to make this so incredibly hard because you're
>so incredibly busy that you haven't time to be civil, why the
>hell haven't you delegated the task to someone more able to deal
>with people?

   I've been watching this thread and cringed a little when I read Jordan's
first reply. It was pretty clear that it wouldn't be taken well, but it was
understandable when you know the history. We really have had numerous people
complain about things at length, but nothing ever seems to come of it,
except to denigrate the work that others have done. Keep in mind that Jordan
and others have been out in front doing the marketing and developing the
product for many years and your complaints are viewed by him as attacks and
insults against the work he's done. So unless you can put something forward
and say "Here, this is better!", then everything you're complaining about
sounds like just another off the cuff complaint from the Peanut Gallery. It
doesn't matter that you might be one of the world's foremost marketing
geniuses, and in fact it probably makes the situation even worse because your
complaints would bite deeper. To give an analogy, walking into someone's house
and saying that the furniture and decorations really suck is likely not going
to get a positive response from your host.
   Anyway, please try to keep in mind Jordan's perspective (and all of those
who have worked to develop and market the product) and understand that his
reaction is going to be very human.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org