Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:40:01 +0200
From:      Fabrizio Poggi <poggif@casaccia.enea.it>
To:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Let 3.x die ASAP?

At 11.36 28/03/00 +0200, you wrote:
>A bit of a controvesical question, for sure.
>I am so impressed with the results of upgrading my more important
>machines to 4.0 or 4-stable that I could imagine not to produce any
>more 3.x releases.
>For me, the real reason is that I now hate the latest 3.x after seeing
>the improvements. It is near to junk, IMHO.
>Several machine of mine had gone instable while moving from 3.[01] to
>3.4-stable and I suspected hardware trouble. I didn't debug it because
>I didn't want to mess with 3.x anymore. Now after upgrading to 4.x the
>same machines are rock-stable again. It is my impression that the 3.x
>branch lost the required testing when the core committers moved to
>4.0-current. Higher releases of 3.x are just not polished/tested
>enough anymore, beside the undoubted concrete bug fixes.
>Opinions?
>
>Martin

Story of DOS. Some people use DOS3.1 some others DOS5.0; anyone remember
the 4.0? The 4.0 of DOS was the most ugly system ever seen at all. Bugs
like a bee-swarm. Maybe the 3 branch is not the more stable branch of
FreeBSD. If a 4.0 current is better... I use now at home the 3.4 -stable
without *any* problem (I thing the best system I ever had). Maybe under
hard working can give something bad. Maybe it can be a good thing if the
core development gives to people a chart of the more well response branch.
Not as absolute. Just the "suggested by the team" releases for have the
best from FreeBSD. For professionals that count on it.

Regards, Fabrizio