Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 03:07:40 +0100
From:      Raf Schietekat <sky92136@skynet.be>
To:        FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kdm grants ordinary users root access on 4.4-R

Dear experts,

When I do startx from a console, my KDE environment starts up as
expected (I have "startkde" in both .xsession and .xinitrc). Since I
succeeded in setting up kdm (which took some asking and guessing,
because I didn't find much in the way of documentation), I have the
following problem:

No, hold the presses, now I've got another problem, which some system
administrators may frown upon... ;-)  When I log in into KDE as my
ordinary-user(-though-member-of-wheel) identity, I get my session back
as I left it, but when I start up a Konsole (I was going to give the su
root kcontrol another try), I notice that I am... root! Right at the
prompt greeting me when the window pops up, no su or anything!
# whoami
root
# pwd
/usr/home/rfschtkt
# cd
# pwd
/usr/home/rfschtkt
[How come cd doesn't take me to /root?]
<<<<<

(Note that the subject "kdm op 4.4-R" is from a lapse into Dutch, means
"kdm on 4.4-R".)

Configuration was pretty much as follows:
desktop# ls /usr/local/share/config/kdm
kdmrc
desktop# cd /usr/local/share/config/kdm
desktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers Xservers
desktop# kdm -nodaemon
[aha, login window appears... but login fails, Ctrl-Alt-F1]
[several error messages about Xaccess, Xsetup, Xstartup, Xreset, Ctrl-C]
^Cdesktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xaccess Xaccess
desktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 Xsetup
desktop# cp /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession Xstartup
desktop# echo > Xreset
[ee Xstartup to contain a line for KDE]
desktop# kdm -nodaemon
[can log in fine, Sound server error looks different than the message I
normally get, but that's another issue]
[when I log out, the screen is black with a % shell in the upper left
hand corner, and xconsole in the lower right, I type exit, I get kdm,
Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-C]
^Cdesktop# echo "/usr/local/bin/kdm/desktop" > Xsetup
[now I have a background, although there are a few seconds of delay each
time, I go out of X, ee /etc/ttys to enable kdm from there, kill -HUP 1,
still works fine, but I still get the % shell where I have to type exit
<<<<<

If I then log out and remove kdm from /etc/ttys and try to log in
normally again, I can't until I've removed some files that were written
in my home directory with owner root, but then I'm back to normal
(normal user in Konsole until I enable kdm again).

Did I miss something in the setup? Is it a known problem?

Raf Schietekat <Raf_Schietekat@ieee.org>