Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 19:49:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        alk@think.com (Tony Kimball)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: After installing FreeBSD 2.1, my computer won't boot

Tony Kimball:
 |Quoth Raf Schietekat on Mon, 5 August:
 |: How can I boot FreeBSD from NT's NTLDR (what to put in BOOT.INI)? Should I
 |: instead try Linux's multi-OS boot mechanism (I'm going to try that OS anyway)?
 |
 |I use ntldr with a boot.ini that runs bootsector code from germany
 |that boots to the BSD drive.  I will dust-off/ plug-inmy WinNT drive
 |and find the bootsector generator and mail you a copy of my boot.ini,
 |if you specifically request.  As for linux, I have a poor opinion of
 |the long-term maintenance cost of Linux and cannot recommend in favor
 |of it.

Found some good docs today describing this technique.  I don't run NT, but
was talking with Raf off-line regarding the FreeBSD Multi-OS HOW-TO that
Jay Richmond's putting together (http://www.in.net/~jayrich/doc/multios.html).
Anyway, for others that are interested:

     http://www.dorsai.org/~dcl/publications/NTLDR_Hacking

 |: Is it safe to install FreeBSD and leave the boot record alone (*will* it be
 |: left alone, how will FreeBSD got booted)? Was this a unique problem for me
 |: (specifying booteasy messing up the entire boot), or should this be pursued
 |: further (whom to contact)?
 |
 |In my experience, installing FreeBSD always trashes everything.
 |The first, biggest readme should say prominently,

Hmmm.  I've installed various version of FreeBSD since 2.0 though the
9606129-SNAP and never had it whack my boot sector.  OS/BS 2.0 is there
from the original install, alive and kickin'.  I just tell sysinstall not
to install BootEasy and it obeys.