Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:55:14 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: need for another cvsup site?

In article <19980119233422.52834@hydrogen.nike.efn.org>,
John-Mark Gurney  <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu> wrote:
> well..  subject pretty much says it all...  is there need for another
> cvsup site?  I have a machine that pretty much runs idle most of the
> time...  and already keeps an updated tree (once a day)...

Thanks for the offer.  I'm not sure how much need there is for another
US mirror.  I'd like to hear from the maintainers of cvsup2 and cvsup3
how heavily loaded they are currently.  (I am already in touch with
cvsup.freebsd.org.)  I suspect that cvsup2 and cvsup3 aren't loaded to
full capacity.  I'd like to avoid adding another US mirror unless we
really need it.  Freefall gets a surprising load just from keeping all
the mirror sites updated.

I have an enhancement to CVSup that dramatically reduces the load
on mirror sites, if I can just find the time to put together a
release.  It should enable our existing mirrors to increase their
limit on the number of simultaneous clients.  It's been in place on
cvsup.freebsd.org for several weeks, and it seems to really help a
lot.  It only helps on mirror sites, though.  It won't make any
difference for freefall itself.

John