Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:13:20 +0100
From:      "Roderick van Domburg" <r.s.a.vandomburg@student.utwente.nl>
To:        "Thomas Moestl" <tmoestl@gmx.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: panic: trap: fast data access mmu miss

> > Running on a Sun Enterprise 250 with a single UltraSparc-II
> > CPU, 512 MB RAM and three Fujitsu SCSI-II hard disks. I've had
> > this same problem with sources over the past few (three?) days.
> > I had to copy this dmesg by hand, so please bear with any
> > possible typos.
>
> Please try the attached diff. The crash was due to what I consider a
> driver bug (not checking the error in the bus_dmamap_load() callback),
> however due to the FreeBSD busdma API being largely undocumented it is
> a bit difficult to tell what should be considered legal. Much more
> problematic is to assume that the first segment's bus address will be
> 0 in the error case. This is not currently guaranteed by any
> implementation.
>
> The attached patch fixes that, and also passes a valid pointer to the
> callback for maximum compatability. It also fixes some other bugs I
> came across.
>
> This does however still not address the reason for the
> bus_dmamap_load() failure; I'm not really sure why this does
> happen. Please look for messages like:
>  __sym_calloc2: failed to allocate ...
> and tell me if you see any of them.

Thanks for the patches! Unfortunately however, it still doesn't seem to
attach sym1 quite right, I believe. Your patches did make the booting
process advance further, but the kernel failed to mount root. Here is the
dmesg, once again manually copied. That __sym_calloc2 message is right on
the second line.

If it is of any help, the kernel builds from sources mid-December 2002
worked just fine.

sym1: No NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
__sym_calloc2: failed to allocate SCRIPTB0[1308]
device_probe_and_attach: sym1 attach returned 6
pcib2: <U2P UPA-PCI bridge> on nexus0
pcib2: Psycho, impl 0, version 4, ign 0x7c0
pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
pci2: <display> at device 1.0 (no driver attached)
nexus0: <rsc>, type system-service-processor (no driver attached)
nexus0: <mc>, type memory-controller (no driver attached)
Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding enabled, default
to deny, logging disabled
Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Root mount failed: 6