Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:07:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, rb@gid.co.uk, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, grog@lemis.com, hf@Melog.DE, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, mjacob@feral.com, rivers@dignus.com
Subject:   Re: filemarks?

>Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 16:55:41 +0000
>From: Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>

[Sorry about the delay; had a backlog.... dhw]

>On 1/2" tape, EOT was a reflective marker on the back of the tape. You were
>supposed to have something like 30ft of tape after the marker, at least
>10ft of which had to be writeable. So the drive could complete the block
>being written at EOT, and still write two tape marks thereafter (but data
>writes would fail IIRC). Only a broken drive (not unknown) would let you
>run the tape off the reel. ISTR (and you will appreciate this is a while
>ago) that drivers would return the block size for the block written over
>EOT and zero for any subsequent data write attempt. Closing the file wrote
>two tape marks.

Please also note that it was hardly unknown for those reflective Mylar
strips to become detached from the tape; I recall at least one 3820 (or
was it a 3810?  It *was* a while ago!) where that happened, with the
(unsurprising) result that the tape came off the supply reel.  (And yes,
I recall the little boxes of adhesive-backed reflective Mylar strips
that were kept near the 38xx drives, along with a pair of scissors for
trimming the end of the tape when it became too frayed.  Later, there
was a special semi-circular punch to make a nice, round leader to
thread....)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915