Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:57:36 +0100
From:      Adrian Wontroba <aw1@stade.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhcp problems with my ISP

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 02:09:37PM +0100, Pete French wrote:
> Whats your ISP ? I am on Blueyonder and this works fine for me. The thing
> to do is to not change your NIC's though - even if you have registered the
> new ones. Use one NIC, and one machine to act as a gateway if you want
> several boxes connected.

I'm on NTL[1] and do the same.  So that's all the UK cable modem
suppliers covered.

The gateway box is also a firewall.

> I keep a small Win2K partition on the BSD box for any visits by the Telewest
> engineers, but my Ip address hasnt chnaged since I first signed up
> to the service. All works very nicely.

But not that.  The NTL engineers around here know nothing about
computers.  They were baffled enough by the idea of plugging the RF
output from the (TV) set top box into a computer.

I "provisioned" using Netscape under FreeBSD.  You do need to go through
the set top box power cycles and (most conveniently) gateway reboot
cycles as provisioning is done with 10.* addresses, which can cause some
interesting interactions with firewall rules (8-)

As far as I can recall, my IP address since my last provisioning has
changed once.

-hackers removed as this is surely off topic there.  Indeed, this isn't
a -stable issue either, but never mind.

[1] Just for "connectivity".  I use gradwell dot com (www.gradwell.com)
for mail and web hosting.

--