Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 18:12:31 +0000
From:      Geoff Buckingham <geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com>
To:        Camhi Michel-Ange <macamhi@atos-group.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Invisible disk(s) on Dell PowerEdge 2300/450 with Adaptec UW-2 LV D controller and RAID 5

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 06:37:55PM +0100, Camhi Michel-Ange wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD-3.3-STABLE on a Dell PowerEdge 2300/450 with a
> RAID controller featuring Ultra-2 Wide SCSI LVD (80 Mb/s). Three 9 Go LVD
> disks are connected to this controller, making up a RAID 5 logical disk of
> 18 Go. The disks are seen OK and Online in the RAID controller utility.
>
> During the probe, the controller is seen as ahc0 and seems to behave fine
> (no timeout messages). But there's no trace of the disks, even after the 15
> seconds of SCSI device settlement.

This model has an on-board adaptec controller this is what seen, during the
boot, it is a different controller to the PCI-UW2SCSI unit you are trying
to use, which is likely to be an AMI Mega RAID or an adaptec RAID of some
kind (depending on which Dell re-badged)

The AMI unit is supported in cureent ( and I believe should be bootable)

There is an experimental version of the driver back ported to stable
available from mike smith, bu I think you will still have to boot from
the on board adaptec or an IDE disk ATM.

For the moment I suggest you try boot floppies from:

ftp://current.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/4.0-19991115-CURRENT/

to confirm they can see the disk.

amr0, Dell PERC, or AMI and RAID to find docs / details for the driver.

> Where have my disks gone? Maybe they don't answer in the 15 seconds delay,
> so how could i raise that up?

The disks are there they are just on a controller the FreeBSD kernel can't
see yet.

--
GeoffB