Date:      Sat, 9 Jun 2001 00:47:32 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Cynic" <cynic@mail.cz>, "Bill Moran" <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: IPFW rules and outward connections

While this is site is interesting as a writing and web project,
just be aware that the author has put it together primariarly
as an advertising vehicle to support his speaking career.  He
claims to be a scientist but you will not find anything on the
site that is at all scientific, no technical details of any
kind that would lend credibility to anything he says on it, and
he routinely ignores any e-mails or technical communication
on the topic.  In short, you will not find anything on this
site that will help you to make your own installation more
secure.  It's basically a site that has a evangelical fervor
of someone attempting to use some wishy-washy technical talk to
lead non-techies down some path.

>ready to skip some whining about MS including fullblown
>sockets implementation in NT 5 and up). Other than that, it's

I frankly find this part of his website the most mysterious
of all.  He claims that Microsoft doing this makes it so that
script kiddies can launch _unblockable_ DDoS attacks, and he
claims that his site is routinely under such attacks.

However, nowhere on the site does he actually provide any details
as to what an _unblockable_ DDoS attack actually is.  It sure
would be nice to know and if he did some of us that know more
about IP than he or his Verio engineers do might even be able to
suggest a filter that would work.  Certainly, he couldn't be
worried that publishing the details of what this actually is
would help the crackers, according to him they already know
how to do it.

I'm ust cautioning anyone who goes to this site looking for
answers that you won't find any - you will find some very good
writing that seems to provide answers and if you get into it
you can have a lot of fun reading - but ultimately the site is
nothing more than potato chip writing, there's no real meat
there.