Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 19:30:45 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   Re: Building inside of /usr/src?

> Nate's words reflect my understanding of the 4.4BSD build system precisely.

Look, this is getting silly.  Here's my final opinion on the matter
and I'll simply whack "delete" on anything else in this vein since
it's really starting to take me away from things I should be doing
instead, like work on 2.1.5 bogons:

1. I will fix outright bugs in my current implementation if they break
   some part of the *FreeBSD* build system.  Sorry, I can't worry about
   every hypothetical TomBSD, DickBSD and HarryBSD - if they don't
   like FreeBSD's changes then they hardly have to take them, either -
   they're hardly being shoved down the *BSD world's throat here!

2. If someone else can give me the following features:

	2a) Build from a totally read-only source tree with nothing more
	    advanced than, say, `cd /cdrom/usr/src && make world'.  This
	    is not me being stubborn, this is me wanting to make symlinks
	    to the CDROM sources on the behalf of the user, if they so
	    choose, and not have to document the build procedure as being
	    special in any way.  No matter how they're getting to their
	    source, it should be the *exact same* procedure and no magic
	    environment variables to set.

	2b) Don't have make world build/teardown symlinks as part of the
	    build.  Not only does this conflict with #1, but it will nuke
	    any other build using the same tree simultaneously.

	2c) Make it easy to destroy *all* artifacts of a build with a simple
	    `rm -rf someobjdir' - I don't want to have to chase around through
	    multiple parts of the system just to delete the old objects.

   Then I'll be perfectly happy to see the approach I took die and the
   new one, whatever that might be, take its place.  None of these examples
   are contrived and they're ALL walls I have run into at one point or
   another (or kept me from making the sources easier to use for the
   novice with little disk space).

If you or Bruce or Nate would care to do 2a - 2c then I'll happily bow
out of the build-tree modification business, content that a bogon I've
been complaining about for years was finally fixed and I didn't have
to play lightning rod, either.

						Jordan