Date:      15 Mar 2002 13:26:53 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        jre@globalnet.co.uk
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Explanation of mount -v

John Ekins <jre@globalnet.co.uk> writes:

> I understand that ufs is mounted sync unless you tell it to use async. So
> I'm guessing (and I'm probably wrong) that the async is something to do
> with softupdates. Just being curious.

The "mount" manual has a bit to say about sync/async/noasync.  They have
nothing directly to do with softupdates except (IIRC) that those mount
options are ignored with softupdates.  These should help:

  http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~ganger/papers/CSE-TR-254-95/
  /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README.softupdates
  /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/README