Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:49:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        John Straiton <jks@clickcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: OT: Sendmail issues

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, John Straiton wrote:

> Situations that come to mind are in ones in which we host the DNS but
> not the mail.... There are dozens of these alone. We wouldn't want the
> domain to be local then.

If you're saying that the mail for those domains are hosted elsewhere,
then all you do is skip them, because you won't be getting those "mail
loops back to self" errors with those domains anyway.

> I haven't found anything, anywhere though that seems to offer
> suggestions as to how I could get this to happen without knowing enough
> C to hack up the source =/

If a given domain isn't intended to have mail delivered for it, it
shouldn't have an MX record.  That's why an error message is generated.
You're seeking for a hack to silence the error message rather than
correcting the misconfiguration.

The "correct"  solution to getting rid of the error messages would be to
remove the cause of the error, by taking out unused MX records.  Finding a
hack as an alternative to fixing the problem usually just gives you
something else that is going to break down the line.

As to maintenance, well, when a change is requested, you're going to be
changing things anyway, so why not just do it the right way to begin with,
and then at least you're not seeing errors from misconfigured services.

Ken Bolingbroke
hacker@bolingbroke.com